Tuesday, July 24, 2012

FULL Body Massage

I’ve gotten pretty used to the sight of brown Q-tip heads.  Riding
around on the back of bodas plus unpaved roads is the perfect dirty
lobe recipe.  Power has been out for 24 hrs. now but it’s actually
quite entertaining to walk around in head lamps in your own living
room gathered around candle sticks.  80 degrees and POURING out.  It’s
typical for our flat to flood even though we’re located on the second
floor ha.

I have an entirely new appreciation for personnel in the medical field
after staring down the throats of 136 students to check their tonsils
for respiratory inflammation.  In all honesty, the kiddos got a kick out of
me more than anything as I repeatedly reflected to them what I wanted
them to do with their mouths.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they think
their newest Muzungu was part baboon.  “Now say, ‘AHHH, ok AHHH.”  Failed
communication attempts bring daily entertainment.  One of our teachers
is expecting and I asked her, “When are you due?”  She heard, “Who did
this to you?” and then pointed across to a colleague and said,
“Definitely not him!”  Gossip in the teacher’s lounge is very similar
to what you would hear in the states.  Teachers bribing each other to
take their less desirable shifts, students, etc.  Priceless.

Despite my lack of training and qualification, along with tonsillitis
I’m becoming familiar with the symptoms of malaria AKA the common cold
in East Africa.  Had a 9 y.o boy come to me saying his head hurt and
within seconds took his temperature to discover he had a temp of
103.3!:( Fever = major symptom of malaria.  Unfortunately, MV’s small
infirmary does not carry the antibiotics to cure malaria, which if
diagnosed early is a onetime 3 dose remedy.  I know 2 US volunteers
who are on Doxycycline (anti-malaria med - mine too) that have caught
malaria and have made a full, although exhausting recovery, which is
discouraging yet comforting at the same time lol.  Locals do not take
anti-malaria meds.  I met a safari tour guide who has had it 7 times!
*Remind me to take de-worming tablets once I return to the states.
It’s standard procedure here every 3 months for EVERYONE.  The
government issues out tabs to all the schools 4x/year.  Yay no worms!

-I’m proud to announce that as of Sunday this Beach can (Mom cover
your ears…err eyes) operate a boda motor bike (with little to no
falling) SOLO!
-In the past week I have been proposed to 4 times.  It was def hard to
turn down the 80 y.o man with no teeth.
-Ugandan masseuses aren’t lying about “FULL body massage” as I kindly
had to remind her to leave my boobs alone.
-Avocados here could fill a size D cup and onions are the size of ping
pong balls.
-Beer costs the equivalent to $1.50 for a 150ml bottle where mustard
costs $8 US dollars.
-Giraffes have no vocal cords and if you plan to safari in the future,
baboons are way scarier than lions AND Amber driving a boda combined.
-One word: EvangelicalGospelChurchesAreAwesome!!  Had my first
“Southern” church experience – WOW.  For those of you familiar with
the scene from Forrest Gump where he participates in the gospel choir.
That was me.

My stroked ego has to admit to feeling like a bit of a celebrity here
walking/riding around with a trail of African children in my shadow.
By far my most happiest moment yet.  They SO just want to touch, wave,
and yell “Mono (slang for white person) how’re you?!”  I’ve also had
the pleasure of speaking with some of the Invisible Children’s
survivors who are no more than a year or two older than me.  I’ve
read, seen, and heard of their God awful experiences, BUT being in
their presence and knowing what they’ve seen; and THEN hearing them
speak of the power of forgiveness and loving thy enemy…can you say
Purple Heart - Medal of Honor x100 sweepstake winners!?!  That doesn't
even do them justice...still get chills.

*If you know of any eager beaver med school students interested and up
for a nursing internship in UG, PLEASE let me know.
**If you would like to sponsor a child or go in with someone to
sponsor a child - sponosrs welcome!

As always, wake up every morning feeling grateful (even for that way
too early alarm, cold shower, and rush hour traffic); and let go of
that rusty grudge and FORGIVE for the Invisible Childrens' sake.
 
 
MVP's infermary and Beach's temp office
 
 
Mercy second from the left
 

3 comments:

  1. nice one............

    Toronto Massage Therapy at VOS Massage Therapy perform high quality massage therapy treatments custom designed for your needs. Relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your reminder about your breasts was followed, Amber . Haha :P Anyway, even if the massage therapist is of the same sex as the patient, he/she should always ask for permission, or should I say -- consider the patient's comfort. :)

    Gregg Mulherin

    ReplyDelete
  3. plzzz tell me which one is the best equipements for Body Massager ..????

    ReplyDelete