Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Biggest Challenge

To answer a lot of your questions about what I eat here...sorry to disappoint
but it's not bugs and bark. The traditional Acholi dish is called posho.
Posho is made out of maize that resembles the consistency of mashed potatoes,
usually paired with beans. Corn and coffee are the major crops grown in Gulu
(if only wine were a major crop here I'd be 3 for 3;). Street vendors are overflowing
with roasted, steamed, and popped corn for purchase. Those who know me,
yes I'm in heaven! There is one super market Uchumi where you can find
mooost of the basics minus variety, cheese, cinnamon, and a hair brush ha.
Any fruits, veg, beans, peanut butter, and “fresh” meat are only found in the
outdoor markets. Indian and Ethiopian restaurants are common and notorious for
food comas. Ethiopian food is my new fav cuisine (Um, hello? You get to eat with
your hands). Mmm!


-I’ve become desensitized to cockroaches, dirt and mud soiling
e-v-e-r-y-thing, the smell of insect repellent, and getting “pet” in
public.
-Did I mention I love Ethiopian food?
-The 5 mi. bike ride to school at dawn has become the favorite part of my day.
-Think of the most selfless person you know and multiply his/her selflessness
by 10 - that sort of person is who you find here - everywhere.
-My toenails have never looked worse and I think I may have forgotten
how to use a blow dryer. What’s make-up again?
-Termite mounds tower taller than doorways.
-Refridgerators are merely a place to store drinks.
-Public toilets = holes in the ground.
-Heart throb Back Street Boys, Celine Dion, and Dolly Parton blare out
of local businesses daily.
-Sweet potatoes here put ours to shame!
-Oh yeah, and I'm obsessed with Ethiopian food.

The sight of 2 men or 2 women holding hands regardless of color is
widely accepted. Holding hands with the opposite sex is frowned
upon and could result in a beating. Beating is a common form of
discipline and punishment in the home, on the streets, and in the
classroom (however prohibited at Mercy’s Village Primary and other
American non-profit schools). You refer to any acquaintance as “my
sister, my brother, or my friend” and not asking “How are you?” in
your initial greeting is considered offensive. Arranged marriages are
practiced and respected. Women are worth money, property, cattle,
goats, and chickens even.

Acholi names are fascinating. At birth you’re given your
birth name describing the circumstance which you were born under
(some are brutally honest and very sad "born into slavery")
or order among siblings. Birth names are also one's surname and
written first. You are also given your first name, which are
mostly British derivatives…Grace, Isabella, Paul, Steward.
At the age of 15 you are allowed to go to the church,
get baptized, and change your first name if you choose.


Biggest challenge: practicing patience. Not every business sticks to
their hours of operation, remains open when it’s raining, or has
school exams prepared when expected by. Showing up an hour late to a
meeting isn’t out of the ordinary nor is waiting an hour and a half
for steamed veggies. Anything wet takes 3 days to dry. Printing 136
surveys can take up to 4 separate visits to the copy store. And my
personal fav, just because you’re at the electrical company to pay
your bill does not guarantee they’ll be able to complete your transaction
when the power is out ha. Abandoning my American standards has been
challenging but it is necessary unless you want to walk around with your
panties in a wad all day (very uncomfortable). Overall, these tests have
been a vital learning experience to be mindful and respectful of cultural
norms and to always have a sense of humor. Phew. A common phrase
my fellow Muzungus and I exchange is “T.I.A. baby” – this is Africa.
And cheers to that! If you’re in need of a moment to gripe and groan,
because let’s be honest we’re all human, set yourself to 2 mins. and spill.
Speaking of… my 2 are up.

Even though the smallest of tasks take on average twice to thrice as
long, I have never lived a more simple life. Priorities are
clear and distractions are few. It’s brilliant. Don’t get me wrong,
I’ve def scoped out the cheapest bottle of wine in town and am not
afraid to share it over a game of Taboo;)…but it’s the absence of
“stuff” that I’m suddenly without that has allowed me to hoan in on
what I actually need on a daily basis. What I actually need in life
materialistically, socially, emotionally, physically, spiritually...very
refreshing. Having less stuff also doubles the value of the anything
you do have. With that said, my second favorite part of the day:
devouring 2 Trader Joes children's chewable gummy bear vitamins.

In the words of my 5 y.o niece Jaden Beach Scott, “Patience my
darling.” Be flexible, be creative, and wake up every morning feeling
grateful. AMEN.


 
Posho, beans, boo, sweet potatos, casava, and chicken
 
 
(yummy)
 
 
Last day of Term II!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment