Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Altitude "Silliness"

I don’t want to leave…

I know I’m only 26, but am confident I will never top the intimate
working relationships I have established with the teachers, parents,
students, and of course, with Isaac here in Gulu.

There is something uniquely loveable about Gulu that’s addicting.  I’ve
never been in the military but the people I’ve met here will forever
be the ones I “worked the trenches with.”  Creating fruitful solid
relationships is instantaneous here – there’s something about us all
being on the same level of understanding and compassion in regards to
water shortage, stomach issues, bug bites, power being out, comparing
whose feet are the dirtiest/scariest ha.  If Hermosa Beach’s 1st
Street to Pier Ave. breed were to exist in Africa, Gulu would be the
perfect location to host y’all;).

MT. KENYA– check!!  Funny how “I need to leave the country to renew my
Visa” morphed into “Let’s climb Africa’s second highest mountain!
SURE.”   What a beautiful beast.   She was intense – and yes, we also,
stayed “in tents” (step-dad Chubb, that was for you).

If Yosemite and the Grand Canyon were to procreate, Mt. Kenya would be
the fruit of their lions. Felt like I was on the set of Lord of the
Rings. I think I may have even resembled Gandolf with my frosted nose
hairs.   Breathtaking (and not just because of the altitude) scenery.
Shared the mountain with elephants, zebras, bald eagles…found my new
happy place.

Typically you see groups of 8 or more hikers plus a guide and about 8
porters on the mountain. We were 6 total – me, my UGA partner in
crime, our guide, and 3 porters. We made quite the fashion statement
in our random ensemble of barrowed thermals and bargin finds from the
local markets – mismatched gloves and plastic bags as a second pair of
socks to keep our feet dry. Snazzy. We looked like homeless women
whom suddenly decided to climb a mountain.

The porters put us to shame carrying triple the standard backpack
weight, leaving basecamp last and arriving first at the next in
rain boots and trash bag ponchos. These ultimate humans summit Mt.
Kenya once a week! Never even phased by the high elevation or below
zero temperatures. Insane.

With only minor miiinor frostbite in one toe*, my mate and I summited
Mt. Kenya and finished the 6 day Chogoria – Sirimon traverse a day
early. YIPPEE.
*No discoloration like in the movie Mr. Deeds ha. Only numbness for
prob 3 months until the damaged nerves repair themselves.

- Altitude Sickness should really be called Altitude ‘Silliness’: “An
enhanced dorkier and gigglier state one reaches at elevations above
15,000 ft. Symptoms include attempting to slide down the mountain on
your bottom, making up words, calling your guide “Mom,” thinking
boulders are water buffalo, and/or sticking your hands down your
pants to keep them warm.”
- Grocery bags make great waterproof gators.
- Orbit gum freezes at 17,000 ft.
- Sleeping bags can stick to the interior of tent walls like Harry
Dun’s tongue froze to a chairlift in Dumb’n’Dumber.
- Lord of the Rings IV should be filmed on Mt. Kenya.
- Oranges are green here...'greenges'(?)

Super stoked to have my mama and sis join me in Uganda for 2 weeks!!
Although, not too sure my 5 year old niece shares the same sentiments. “Aunt
Tootie, 12 days is a long time for my mom to be gone. I’m not too
excited about that.” Jaden, thank you for allowing (releasing) your
mom to come visit me lol.

Goobers in Gulu – watch out!  Don’t worry, we HAVE scheduled a Birding
Tour for mama dearest (that I may combine with wine to create the
ultimate Birding/Wine Tour – twofer!). Can’t remember the last time it
was just Rosie, Marika, and Amber (or mama, Booka, and Tootie – that’s
better)...‘02 road trip to CO to drop off Marika’s 4-Runner where we
discovered Amber has a severe learning disability when it comes to
reading maps…?  Ages ago, however, I may or may not still read maps
up-side-down. Opps.  "Dys'map'ia"..?

HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY to ISAAC!! He was born on September 22.
Forgive me for the delay in his Thank You letters to you Isaac
sponsors…it was going to cost $80US to mail them from UG, which I
could not justify, so I have volunteered my mom to take them back to
the states to mail. Unfortunately, the same circumstance applies to
the 70-some lovely letters Mercy’s Village Primary Students wrote to
each of you. Thank you for your patience:/. And to clarify, I
HAPPILY incurred $1,200.00 in debt (absolutely worth it) to pay for
Mt. Kenya – none of your donations were used for my “holiday”:). IF
anyone IS interested in hiking Mt. Kenya, Kilimanjaro, and/or
safari’ing, I have dear friends/guides in Tanzania and Kenya I can
refer you to.

Isaac’s becoming MY role model. His work ethic surpasses the
definition of inspiring.  Don’t even get me started on his pain
threshold/tolerance. Last month his voice started to sound
deeper than usual, but I figured it was an additional onset of his
voice dropping..? Come to find out, he’s been experiencing
excruciating pain in his throat for years; for which he was visiting a
local village witch doctor to receive "treatment." So I scheduled him
an actual doctor’s appointment. Poor guy was battling asthma for
years with no medication, until now.  His voice is back to normal
and he is eating solid foods again. Super-super-duper hero Isaac.

With that said, for his birthday/before I leave I want to provide him
with a bike so he can have transportation to Lacor Hospital and to his
village (hr+ walk from school). A decent bike is about 250,000
shillings ($100US). He has $230.00 remaining in his School Fees
Fund, which should be enough to cover Term I in Senior 5 come March.
In addition to requesting yet another monthly donation on Isaac’s
behalf, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to
provide you all - anyone - with the link to make a donation to
Isaac…perhaps in lieu of a “birthday gift,” compensation for medical
fees, or to support his education.

Any amount is appreciated:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RZYSSUTTA4888

I’m starting to wonder if my parents adopted me from Africa because
Uganda is family. However, the stubby thumbs I inherited from my
mom make that highly unlikely.

(A little bird told me Amber may be staying yet another extra month in Uganda...shhh.)

One word, wakeupeverymorningfeelinggrateful.

Joe Anderson, my dear friend and fellow Loyola lion… I’ve
never met someone who knew more about Mammoth Mountain and Bishop.
Will always cherish sharing last President’s Day Weekend with you on
the slopes. Always looking out for me. Much, much, love…


Beacher

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment