Friday, August 3, 2012

He's a real boy!

I don't think I have ever had goose bumps when it's 89 degrees
out...

I arrive at Charity College school a little past 2pm on a Friday.  I
don't care what country or business you are in but when someone walks through
your doors 30 mins. before closing, they're likely to receive a
reluctant welcome.  I was definitely more pleased to meet them than they
were me. 

"So sorry to bother you on the last day of term, but I am
here to inquire about Odong Isaac Crusoe."

Magic words that "Odong Isaac" because smiles immediately spread over
the 2 staff members' faces as they raved in unison about what a "good
boy" he is..."one of our best pupils."

"Could you tell me more about him?  How are his grades?"

And honestly, I don't expect ya'll to believe me but, Monica the
secretary informs me she has some of his work with her and
invites me to her messy desk.  Guess whose file is a top the pile of
paper madness? Yup!

As suspected, Isaac's work yields that he is very bright.  She
was able to finish my sentences about his lost scholarship and financial aide.
"Isaac is one of the FEW boys whom has never had a discipline problem.  The
only thing holding him back is his financial situation."

I share how we met, express that I and some friends from the states are
interested in getting involved, and ask what he owes (mind you, not
yet revealing that Isaac has $330 US to his name as of Aug. 2).  Before
she was able to ask, the accountant (who had stopped by the
office only to drop off a jacket) was already calculating Isaac's grand total.

From the length of the list Monica rattled off, I knew that what
Isaac actually owed was a lot more than 400,000 shillings.  *In order
for him to take exams he must have a min. of 400,000X paid.  Isaac
has only received 5,000X from his "guardians"...about $3, whom by the
sound of it, are not aware nor interested in his education...or him.

I unfold the handmade receipt...tears well in my eyes.

Monica offers comforting words of, "I know it's more than what you
expected but any little bit will help."

Isaac owes 759,000 shillings - exactly $305.00 US.

I tell her I am not sad at all and about the fund started for him on
Tuesday (twice in fact because she did not believe me first round).

She then pulled out her handkerchief...and not to wipe away boogies.

She offered to meet me tomorrow.  I qustioned, "Tomorrow?"

"Yes, Amber tomorrow is Saturday!" she says haha. 

Silly Amberican, just because meetings don't occur on the weekends
in the states doesn't mean they don't in UG!


Hollie, Coesun, Amy, Brittany, Natassia, Andrea, Mama, Aunt Sue, Ray,
Rashel, Carly, Jason, Cuz Matt, Lara, Tatum, Jake, Buddha, Anna, Bookey,
Mandy, and Enya: How does it feel to change a life?  Save a life?

Miracle.

Donations still welcome.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RZYSSUTTA4888

LOVE,

Amber and Isaac


 

ODONG ISAAC CRUSOE
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment